Beclometasondipropionat Mikron - General Information
An anti-inflammatory, synthetic glucocorticoid. It is used topically as an anti-inflammatory agent and in aerosol form for the treatment of asthma.
Pharmacology of Beclometasondipropionat Mikron
Beclometasondipropionat Mikron, a synthetic halogenated glucocorticoid with antiinflammatory and vasoconstrictive effects, is used for treating steroid-dependent asthma, allergic or nonallergic rhinitis, or recurrent nasal polyps.
Beclometasondipropionat Mikron for patients
(beclomethasone dipropionate HFA)
It is important that you read these instructions before using QVAR. Correct and regular use of the inhaler will prevent or lessen the severity of asthma attacks.
1. Remove the plastic cap and be sure there are no foreign objects in the mouthpiece.
2. As with all aerosol medications, it is recommended to prime the QVAR inhaler before using for the very first time after purchase, and in cases where the inhaler has not been used for more than ten days. Prime by releasing two actuations into the air, away from your eyes and face. Be sure the canister is firmly seated in the plastic mouthpiece adapter before each use.
3. BREATHE OUT AS FULLY AS YOU COMFORTABLY CAN. Close your lips around the mouthpiece, keeping your tongue below it.
4. WHILE BREATHING IN DEEPLY AND SLOWLY, PRESS DOWN ON THE CAN WITH YOUR FINGER. When you have finished breathing in, hold your breath as long as you comfortably can (i. e., 5 - 10 seconds).
5. TAKE YOUR FINGER OFF THE CAN and remove the inhaler from your mouth. Breathe out gently.
6. If your physician has told you to take more than one inhalation per treatment repeat steps 3 through 5.
7. You should rinse your mouth with water after treatment.
8. For normal hygiene, the mouthpiece of your inhaler should be cleaned weekly with a clean, dry tissue or cloth. DO NOT WASH OR PUT ANY PART OF YOUR INHALER IN WATER.
9. DISCARD THE CANISTER AFTER the date calculated by your physician or pharma-cist. The correct amount of medication in each inhalation cannot be assured after 100 actuations from the 7. 3 g canister even though the canister is not completely empty. The canister should be discarded when the labeled number of actuations have been used. Before the discard date you should consult your physician to determine whether a refill is needed. It is advisable to keep track of the number of doses taken from the canister to better predict when a refill is necessary.
Just as you should not take extra doses without consulting your physician, you also should not stop taking QVAR without consulting your physician.
IMPORTANT QVAR is preventive therapy for asthma and must be used regularly and at the times your physician has prescribed.
DO NOT CONFUSE QVAR WITH OTHER ASTHMA MEDICATION. QVAR WILL NOT PROVIDE IMMEDIATE RELIEF IF YOU ARE HAVING AN ASTHMA ATTACK.
Your physician will decide whether other medication is needed should you require immediate relief. If you also use another medicine by inhalation, you should consult your physician for instructions on when to use it in relation to using QVAR. If this is the first time you will be using QVAR, it may take from 1 to 4 weeks before you feel the full benefits.
QVAR Inhalation Aerosol canister should only be used with the QVAR Inhalation Aerosol mouthpiece and the mouthpiece should not be used with any other inhalation drug product.
DOSAGE : Use only as directed by your physician.
CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE Do not puncture. Do not use or store near heat or open flame. Exposure to temperatures above 49ºC (120ºF) may cause bursting. Never throw container into fire or incinerator.
Keep out of reach of children.
Avoid spraying in eyes.
Store at 25ºC (77ºF). For optimal results, the canister should be at room temperature when used.
Store QVAR Inhalation Aerosol when not being used, so that the product rests on the concave end of the canister with the plastic actuator on top.
Beclometasondipropionat Mikron Interactions
Albuterol, Antihistamines, antidiabetic drugs, diuretics, digitalis.
Beclometasondipropionat Mikron Contraindications
QVAR is contraindicated in the primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute episodes of asthma where intensive measures are required.
Hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients of this preparation contraindicates its use.
Additional information about Beclometasondipropionat Mikron
Beclometasondipropionat Mikron Indication: For the maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy in patients 5 years of age and older
Mechanism Of Action: Unbound corticosteroids cross cell membranes and bind with high affinity to specific cytoplasmic receptors. The result includes inhibition of leukocyte infiltration at the site of inflammation, interference in the function of mediators of inflammatory response, suppression of humoral immune responses, and reduction in edema or scar tissue. The antiinflammatory actions of corticosteroids are thought to involve phospholipase A2 inhibitory proteins, lipocortins, which control the biosynthesis of potent mediators of inflammation such as prostaglandins and leukotrienes.
Drug Interactions: Not Available
Food Interactions: Not Available
Generic Name: Beclomethasone
Synonyms: Beclometasona [Inn-Spanish]; Beclometasonum [Inn-Latin]; Beclometasone
Drug Category: Antiarrhythmic Agents; Glucocorticoids; Anti-inflammatory Agents; Corticosteroids; Anti-Asthmatic Agents
Drug Type: Small Molecule; Approved
Other Brand Names containing Beclomethasone: Aerobec; Aldecin; Anceron; Andion; Beclacin; Becloforte; Beclomet; Beclometasondipropionat Mikron; Beclorhinol; Becloval; Beclovent; Becodisks; Beconase; Beconase AQ; Beconasol; Becotide; Clenil-A; Entyderma; Inalone; Korbutone; Propaderm; QVAR; QVAR 80; Rino-Clenil; Sanasthmax; Sanasthmyl; Vancenase; Vancenase AQ; Vanceril; Vanceril Double Strength; Viarex; Viarox;
Absorption: Mean peak plasma concentration was 88pg/ml at 0.5 hour
Toxicity (Overdose): The acute toxicity of beclomethasone dipropionate is low. The only harmful effect that follows inhalation of large amounts of the drug over a short period of time is suppression of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) function. Chronic: The excessive use of beclomethasone dipropionate over a long period could lead to adrenal suppression.
Protein Binding: 87% to albumin and transcortin
Biotransformation: Metabolism mediated via esterase enzymes that are found in most tissues. Undergoes rapid and extensive conversion to beclomenthasone-17-monopropionate (17-BMP) during absorption
Half Life: 2.8 hours
Dosage Forms of Beclometasondipropionat Mikron: Aerosol, metered Respiratory (inhalation)
Aerosol, metered Nasal
Chemical IUPAC Name: (8S,9R,10S,11S,13S,14S,16S,17R)-9-chloro-11,17-dihydroxy-17-(2-hydroxyacetyl)-10,13,16-trimethyl-6,7,8,11,12,14,15,16-octahydrocyclopenta[a]phenanthren-3-one
Chemical Formula: C22H29ClO5
Beclomethasone on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beclomethasone
Organisms Affected: Humans and other mammals