Hydronephrosis - a disease characterized by progressive expansion of renal pelvis and calyces due to obstruction of outflow of urine from the kidney. Increasing the pressure of urine in the kidney with hydronephrosis leads to disruption of blood flow in the body, atrophy of the parenchyma and the steady decrease in kidney function.
Distinguish between congenital and acquired hydronephrosis. Congenital hydronephrosis due to the presence of any abnormalities of the renal pelvis, ureter or kidney and developing against the following diseases
- inflammatory changes of the urinary system
- traumatic narrowing of the urinary tract (arising after the injury)
- tumors of the urinary tract
- tumors of the cervix
- traumatic spinal cord injury
The main manifestation of the initial stage of hydronephrosis is a pain in the lumbar region in the form of attacks of renal colic. Twinges in hydronephrosis and may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, abdominal distention and increased blood pressure. With the development of infection occurs fever and develops a picture of acute pyelonephritis.
In the late stages of hydronephrosis pain is usually absent or mild. At the same time the size of hydronephrosis kidney increases and it becomes easily accessible to palpation.
Diagnosis of hydronephrosis includes next examining:
- ultrasound kidney - marked expansion pyelocaliceal system and atrophy of the parenchyma
- excretory urography, which allows to identify the expansion pyelocaliceal system, and also indirectly evaluate kidney function
Surgical treatment of hydronephrosis is aimed at eliminating obstacles to the normal outflow of urine from the kidney. In this case, what was once done by plastic surgery, the greater the chance of preserving kidney function.
In the case of signs of renal failure may have an operation in two stages - the imposition of nephrostomy (kidney drainage to the normalization of the patient) followed by plastic ureter and renal pelvis.
When far advanced forms of hydronephrosis shown nephrectomy to avoid the development of infectious complications.
If you have any questions about the diagnosis or treatment of hydronephrosis, you can specify them with our urologist or a nephrologist on the phone: +7 (926) 988-14-23
- Bilirubinuria, urobilinogenuria
- Cystitis, urocystitis
- Hematuria (blood in the urine)
- Hydrocele symptoms and syndromes
- Ketonuria (ketone bodies in urine)
- Kidney stones, urolithiasis
- Kidney (urinary) symptoms and syndromes
- Orchitis, didymitis, testicular inflammation
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Proteinuria (protein in the urine)
- Pyuria (leucocyturia)
- Uronephrosis, pyelonephrosis
- Varicocele symptoms and syndromes
- Vesiculitis symptoms and syndromes
+7 (926) 988-14-23