Anatomy of the spine and spinal cord
The best way to prevent diseases of the spine is the knowledge of its anatomy and the removal of physical overload the spine.
In the human spine identify several departments, depending on the location:
- cervical - consists of 7 cervical vertebrae are very mobile, especially in the lower their segments (C5-C6-C7)
- thoracic - formed from the 12 thoracic vertebrae
- lumbar region on 5 lumbar vertebrae with the most moving lower segment (L4-L5-S1)
- sacrum - a monolith of 5 sacral vertebrae fused into one sacrum bone
- coccyx consists of 2-5 vertebrae, and may be moving in women due to their childbearing function.
Center of the intervertebral disc is studenistoobraznoe nucleus pulposus, which are remnants of embryonic tissue (notochord). It is surrounded and supported by the fibrous ring of fibrous cartilage and connective tissue.
After completion of the development of the spine (aged 24-26 years), intervertebral discs lose their blood-feeding vessels. In the future intervertebral discs becoming less flexible and less effective to cope with the role of mechanical shock absorbers when walking. These changes may lead to impairments of the most moving parts of the spine: the cervical and lumbar segments.
The spinal cord is located in the lumen of the spinal canal. The child, he fills it almost completely. As the man already in adulthood, the cone of the spinal cord reaches only the level 1 or 2 of the first lumbar vertebra, because the nerve tissue is not kept pace with the rapid growth of bones.
The location of the spinal cord in the spinal canal.
The structure of the spinal cord, a cross-section.
Epidural fatty tissue surrounds the shell of the spinal cord. Injection of epidural fat leads to a purulent spinal epiduritu.
- Glossary - a list of the most common medical terms;
- A dictionary of neurological signs - neurological signs and their meaning;
- Frequently Asked Questions - the most frequently asked patient questions;
- Anatomy of the spine - presented and illustrated the basic data on the structure of the spine and spinal cord;
- Anatomy of the nervous system - presented and illustrated the basic data on the structure of the brain and spinal cord and nerves;
- Rules for the preparation of the investigated to some diagnostic procedures;
- Rules for the care of people with disabilities - safe ways to care for immobile or infirm patients at home or in hospital.
+7 (926) 988-14-23