Instability of the spine, the displacement of vertebrae (spondylolisthesis)
Instability of the spine (spondylolisthesis) - is one of the states of the junction between the vertebrae (vertebral-motor segment. VCP) which yields excessive mobility, which can lead to irritation of nerve roots, spinal cord injury, spinal cord compression of vessels (arteries and veins) .
Displacement of vertebrae or spondylolisthesis spine in its instability with compression of the nerve.
Causes the appearance of spinal instability and displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) in any of its departments may be the following factors:
- trauma (road, falls, heavy lifting, etc.)
- extensive surgical interventions on the spine and spinal cord (for access to a particular section of the spinal cord requires a wide operative field, which requires extensive surgeons remove several pieces of vertebrae in a patient)
- weakness of the joint-ligament apparatus of human
- age-related changes in bone density (osteoporosis)
Cause spine instability and displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) is the weakness of ligaments, damage to the intervertebral discs and joints.
Diagnosis of spinal instability and displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) is produced by:
- radiography with functional tests (flexion and extension of research carried out lumbar or cervical spine)
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and functional tests (flexion and extension of research carried out lumbar or cervical spine)
- CT (computed tomography) of the spine
At the same time render the degree and nature of spinal instability and displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis), vertebral-motor segment.
When radiography (X-ray) of the cervical spine revealed straightening of lordosis and displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) with spine instability.
Most often, spinal instability and displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) found in his department:
- cervical spine - a mixture of vertebrae of the cervical spine (spondylolisthesis)
- lumbosacral spine - a mixture of vertebrae of the lumbosacral spine (spondylolisthesis)
Displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) may occur due to weakness of the ligamentous system of the cervical spine with neck injuries.
Method of treatment of spine instability and generally any mixture of a vertebra or several vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) depends on the degree of displacement of a vertebra, and possible clinical manifestations of the patient (discomfort, pain, muscle weakness below the zone of displacement, symptoms of cerebral ischemia, etc.).
Conservative treatment of spinal instability and displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) includes a variety of manipulations on the structures of the spine:
- drug therapy (NSAIDs, analgesics, hormones)
- therapeutic blockade - the injection of drugs into the cavity of the channel
- manual therapy (muscle, joint and radicular technique)
- physiotherapy (UHF, SMC, etc.)
- spinal traction (contraindicated in the acute stage)
- medical gymnastics and swimming (after primary treatment)
- surgical treatment
Operation surgery treatment of unstable cervical spine by anterior fusion at the expense of fixing the bodies of the cervical vertebrae plate.
Operative treatment of spinal instability and displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) is intended to stabilize the vertebrae to produce various stabilizing systems that safely and reliably perform the function of support for two or more adjacent vertebrae.
If you have any questions about the diagnosis or treatment of spine instability, displacement of the vertebrae (spondylolisthesis), you can specify them with our neurosurgeon or a neurologist on the phone:
- Ankylosing spondylitis (Bechterew's disease)
- Coccyalgia (sore tailbone)
- Compression fracture of the spine
- Epiduritis and spinal abscess
- Low back pain, pain in leg, Sherman Mau diseases
- Lumbago, sciatica and lumbodynia
- Lumbar disc disease (herniated disc, bulging disc)
- Neck injury (cervical spine and cranial trauma)
- Neck pain, shoulder pain
- Osteochondrosis and its symptoms
- Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine, intercostal neuralgia
- Osteoporosis (vertebral body)
- Sacroiliac joint osteoarthritis
- Sacroiliac joint pain (sacroiliac joint dysfunction syndrome)
- Sacrum pain
- Scoliosis spine, stoop
- Spinal cord and spine congenital defects (Klippel–Feil syndrome, cervical rib, spina bifida, meningocele, meningomylocele, diastematomyelia, sacralization, lumbarization, spondylolisthesis)
- Spinal stenosis, lumbar and cervical osteophytes
- Spondylitis (osteomyelitic, tuberculosis, etc.)
- Spondyloarthrosis (osteoarthritis of the intervertebral joints)
- Spondylolisthesis (displacement and spinal instability)