Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals) - General Information
Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals) is produced by recombinant DNA technology by insertion of the gene for the B chain of platelet derived growth factor (PDGF) into the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals) has a molecular weight of approximately 25 KD and is a homodimer composed of two identical polypeptide chains that are bound together by disulfide bonds
Pharmacology of Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals)
Used for the topical treatment of skin ulcers, Regranex has a biological activity similar to that of endogenous platelet-derived growth factor, which includes promoting the chemotactic recruitment and proliferation of cells involved in wound repair and enhancing the formation of granulation tissue.
Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals) for patients
Patients should be advised that:
- hands should be washed thoroughly before applying REGRANEX Gel;
- the tip of the t.b. should not come into contact with the ulcer or any other surface; the t.b. should be recapped tightly after each use; - a cotton swab, tongue depressor, or other application aid should be used to apply REGRANEX Gel;
- REGRANEX Gel should only be applied once a day in a carefully measured quantity. The measured quantity of gel should be spread evenly over the ulcerated area to yield a thin continuous layer of approximately 1/16 of an inch thickness. The measured length of the gel to be squeezed from the tube should be adjusted according to the size of the ulcer. The amount of REGRANEX Gel to be applied daily should be recalculated at weekly or biweekly intervals by the physician or wound care giver;
Step-by-step instructions for application of REGRANEX Gel are as follows:
- Squeeze the calculated length of gel on to a clean, firm, non-absorbable surface,e.g., wax paper.
- With a clean cotton swab, tongue depressor, or similar application and spread the measured REGRANEX Gel over the ulcer surface to obtain an even layer.
- Cover with a saline moistened gauze dressing.
- after approximately 12 hours, the ulcer should be gently rinsed with saline or water to remove residual gel and covered with a saline-moistened gauze dressing (without REGRANEX Gel);
- it is important to use REGRANEX Gel together with a good ulcer care program, including a strict non-weight-bearing program;
- excess application of REGRANEX Gel has not been shown to be beneficial;
- REGRANEX Gel should be stored in the refrigerator. Do not freeze REGRANEX Gel;
- REGRANEX Gel should not be used after the expiration date on the bottom, crimped end of the tube.
Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals) Interactions
It is not known if REGRANEX Gel interacts with other topical medications applied to the ulcer site. The use of REGRANEX Gel with other topical drugs has not been studied.
Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals) Contraindications
REGRANEX Gel is contraindicated in patients with:
- known hypersensitivity to any component of this product (e.g., parabens);
- known neoplasm(s) at the site(s) of application.
Additional information about Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals)
Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals) Indication: For topical treatment of skin ulcers (from diabetes)
Mechanism Of Action: Binds to the beta platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) receptor, a tyrosine kinase receptor. PDGF is known to exist as a dimer, and activates its signaling pathway by a ligand induced receptor dimerization and autophosphorylation. PDGF receptors also contain many auto-phosphorylation sites, which serve to mediate binding of SH2 sites and subsequently signal corresponding pathways. There are five different isoforms of PDGF that activate through two different receptors (alpha and beta).
Drug Interactions: Not Available
Food Interactions: Not Available
Generic Name: Becaplermin
Synonyms: PDGF B-chain; PDGF-2; Platelet-derived growth factor B chain precursor; Platelet-derived growth factor beta polypeptide; c-sis
Drug Category: Anti-Ulcer Agents; Topical
Drug Type: Biotech; Approved
Absorption: Not Available
Toxicity (Overdose): Not Available
Protein Binding: Not Available
Biotransformation: Not Available
Half Life: Not Available
Dosage Forms of Regranex (OMJ Pharmaceuticals): Gel Topical
Chemical IUPAC Name: Human platelet derived growth factor
Chemical Formula: C532H892N162O153S9
Becaplermin on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becaplermin
Organisms Affected: Humans and other mammals