Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine, intercostal neuralgia
Pain symptoms in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine persecuted man in middle age and are related to its way of life. Patients with symptoms of pain in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine, usually lead a sedentary lifestyle (working at the computer, prolonged sitting while driving, education, breast-feeding, etc.) or hypothermia. Less pain symptoms in osteochondrosis of the spine manifested patients with a mobile work, as well as in leading an active lifestyle (swimming, gymnastics, fitness, etc.).
Complaints of patients with pain symptoms in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine are the following character:
- drawing pain between the shoulder blades
- burning between the shoulder blades
- pain in the heart and under the breasts in motion and at rest
- girdle pain between the ribs in the axillary region
- pain in the thoracic region during prolonged sitting at the end of the day or after sleep, etc.
Localization of the typical pain of trigger points in fibromyalgia (muscle pain) in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine.
Pain symptoms in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine origin primarily muscle. On the patients consultation and medical examination from our experts we always find trigger points in the most typical places in the muscles of the thoracic spine and rib cage as a whole. Hurt more often in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine intercostal muscles, muscles of spine extensors. Less commonly, the pain can be localized to the adductor shoulder or pectoral muscles.Just a source of pain in the thoracic spine may be at the origin is a tendon, ligament, joint capsule, vertebral body or its appendages:
- in the projection of the intervertebral joints
- in places the attachment head fins to bodies of the vertebrae
- in places the attachment head ribs to the brisket
These sources of pain (tendon, ligament, joint capsule, vertebral body or its appendages) in the thoracic spine is most often linked to its origin with the trauma of the spinal structures and the thorax as a whole (falls, sudden heavy lifting, awkward movement.)
Source of pain in the thoracic spine may be at the origin is a tendon, ligament, joint capsule, vertebral body or its appendages.
Pain symptoms of intercostal neuralgia are burning encircling the chest in the projection rib pain. On the origin of these painful intercostal neuralgia may be viral or traumatic nature. Very often the patients themselves intercostal neuralgia confused with muscle pain against a background of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic spine.
During viral infection herpes zoster (varicella-zoster, «zoster) is an active division of the virus in the myelin sheath of the intercostal nerve. Pain in intercostal neuralgia due to herpes are penetrating, "dagger" character in contact with seemed to be outwardly healthy-skin in the intercostal space. Before the advent of pain with intercostal neuralgia due to herpes during the incubation period, the patient will be itching for virus in place.
During viral infection herpes zoster (varicella-zoster, «zoster) is an active division of the virus in the myelin sheath of the intercostal nerves.
After maturation occurs rash blisters on the skin filled with clear liquid and is extremely painful when you touch them clothing or bedding during sleep.
Traumatic injuries of the chest, leading to compression or irritation of the intercostal nerve membranes, manifested in the form of acute local or encircling the pain of intercostal space. These pains may enroll in the chest by the intercostal nerve damage.
Diagnosis of osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine and intercostal neuralgia is not difficult. On the patients consultation and medical examination we identify the source of pain during palpation, functional tests (examination of the move), examination of the skin. In case of doubt in the diagnosis of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic spine and intercostal neuralgia may be assigned additional hardware methods of the thoracic spine and rib cage.
Multispiral thoracic spine computed tomography (CT).
According to the results of consulting a doctor, if necessary, the patient with the symptom of pain in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine intercostal neuralgia may be appointed in addition the following diagnostic procedures:
- X-ray of the thoracic spine
- CT of the thoracic spine
- MRI of thoracic spine
- blood test for viral infection
Depending on the severity of symptoms and causes of pain in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine and intercostal neuralgia in a patient, the following therapeutic action:
- drug therapy (NSAIDs, analgesics, hormones)
- therapeutic blockade - the injection of drugs into the cavity of the channel
- manual therapy (muscle, joint and radicular technique)
- physiotherapy (UHF, SMC, etc.)
- spinal traction (contraindicated in the acute stage)
- medical gymnastics and swimming (after primary treatment)
- surgical treatment
In the vertebral (facet) joints in osteochondrosis of the spine can also be produced by therapeutic blockade. Blockade are used when conventional treatment of pain in the thoracic spine and intercostal neuralgia does not give a persistent positive effect.
The use of acupuncture is very effective in treating pain in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine and intercostal neuralgia.
Chiropractic adjustment on thoracic spine.
To conduct of blockade procedure in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine and intercostal neuralgia sufficiently low doses of anesthetic (Novocaine, Lidocaine) and cortisone Diprospan or Kenalog introduced into the lumen or around the affected joint, as well as a projection of painful muscle points where seals and intercostal nerve to intercostal space.
In the case of pain in the muscles or ligaments and joint capsule in osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine duration of outpatient treatment may 1,5-2 weeks, beginning with the onset of acute pain.
Blockade procedure used to relieve pain in the thoracic spine and intercostal neuralgia.
In the case of pain during viral intercostal neuralgia (especially in elderly or debilitated patients), outpatient treatment may neuralgia last from 0,5 to 1,5 months.
If you have any questions about the diagnosis or treatment of osteoarthritis of the thoracic spine and intercostal neuralgia you can specify them with our neurosurgeon or neurologist by calling: +7 (926) 988-14-23
- Ankylosing spondylitis (Bechterew's disease)
- Back pain in pregnancy
- Coccydynia (sore tailbone)
- Compression fracture of the spine
- Degenerative and hereditary myelopathy
- Epiduritis and spinal abscess
- Low back pain, pain in leg, Sherman Mau diseases
- Lumbago, sciatica and lumbodynia
- Lumbar disc disease (herniated disc, bulging disc)
- Meningovascular syphilis or syphilitic myelopathy (tabes dorsalis)
- Cervicocranial syndrome and whiplash neck injury
- Neck pain, shoulder pain
- Non-compressive oncological myelopathy
- Osteochondrosis and its symptoms
- Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine, intercostal neuralgia
- Osteoporosis (vertebral body)
- Rules of disability patients care with arms and legs muscles paralysis (paraplegia, quadriplegia)
- Sacroiliac joint osteoarthritis
- Sacroiliac joint pain (sacroiliac joint dysfunction syndrome)
- Sacrum pain
- Scoliosis spine, stoop
- Syringomyelia, siringobulbia
- Spinal cord and spine congenital defects (Klippel–Feil syndrome, cervical rib, spina bifida, meningocele, meningomylocele, diastematomyelia, sacralization, lumbarization, spondylolisthesis)
- Spinal cord compression
- Spinal cord diseases
- Spinal cord and spinal canal epidural space hemangiomas
- Spinal cord infarction (ischemic stroke)
- Spinal stenosis, lumbar and cervical osteophytes
- Spondylitis (osteomyelitic, tuberculosis, etc.)
- Spondyloarthrosis (osteoarthritis of the intervertebral joints)
- Spondylolisthesis (displacement and spinal instability)
- Vertebral hemangioma (vertebral angioma)
- Vertebral subluxation and dislocation
+7 (926) 988-14-23